Portobelly Production Journal #22

18/02/2019

Last week I set myself the goal of finishing the Boomshroom animations and to blockout the level. I have completed the Boomshroom animations and have implemented them into the AI actions of the enemy. I have blocked out most of the level but I feel that I can’t finish the entire level blockout until I have completed the AI for all of the characters.

This week I plan to complete the animations and AI of the BFF and implement all of the animations into the engine.

After discussions with the team I have decided I need to finish the AI for the rest of the enemies before I begin to finalise the level design. I need to have the enemies finished because they will have an effect on the design of the level. Before I start on the design of the BFF (big fungal fella) AI I need to rig the BFF so I can add on animations when the AI has been finished.

Fig 1 - BFF with the unedited boomshroom rig

One of the comments we received on our game design document was that we could use the same rig for the BFF and the Boomshroom so that animations could be shared between these two characters. This would save use a lot of time and we would reduce the amount of animations we would have to make between the two characters. For example, the walk cycle could be shared between the two characters.

Fig 2 - BFF with the adapted Boomshroom rig

Fig 3 - BFF Using the Boomshroom rig within Unreal Engine 4

I had to make slight adjustments to the placement of the bones within the rig as the BFF is twice the size of the Boomshroom.

Fig 4 - Problem when painting skin weights deforming the mesh

When I was trying to paint skin weights on the BFF, the vertices on the mesh were changing location which began to deform the mesh. This was a massive issue because I wanted the mesh to remain unchanged during the skinning process. With some help I managed to skin the mesh successfully but it took several hours to complete.

Fig 5 - Final rig for the BFF

Fig 6 - Boomshroom animations applied to the BFF

Sadly with all the work that went into using the Boomshroom’s rig on the BFF I was unable to use the Boomshroom’s animations. I think this was due to the size difference between the Boomshroom and the BFF. This is not a massive issue as there was not going to be many shared animations between the two characters.

 

Figures List

  1. Rees, O (2019). BFF with the unedited boomshroom rig. [offline]. [Accessed 19/02/2019].

  2. Rees, O (2019). BFF with the adapted Boomshroom rig. [offline]. [Accessed 19/02/2019].

  3. Rees, O (2019). BFF Using the Boomshroom rig within Unreal Engine 4. [offline]. [Accessed 19/02/2019].

  4. Rees, O (2019). Problem when painting skin weights deforming the mesh. [offline]. [Accessed 19/02/2019].

  5. Rees, O (2019). Final rig for the BFF. [offline]. [Accessed 19/02/2019].

  6. Rees, O (2019). Boomshroom animations applied to the BFF. [offline]. [Accessed 19/02/2019].